Half Day on the “fortified hill”
The CASTLE OF BRESCIA, that is a great fortification, is on the top of Cidneo Hill.
It has never been an elegant residence, only military headquarter.
Visconti realized the first core, still in good conditions, Ghibelline battlements, drawbridges, high walls and the Donjon, according to the Middle Age weapons.
Venice took the control and fire weapons were introduced: embankments and platforms changed the defensive system.
The Castle was the headquarter also for Austrian Army that subdued the town, after the ten days rebellion in 1849.
The monument has been completely transformed into a park, after Unification of Italy.
LUIGI MARZOLI WEAPON MUSEUM
The XIV century Visconti Donjon houses a great collection.
Luigi Marzoli, local industrialist, succeeded in creating an ancient weapons’ collection, local production in particularly, even if, inside the museum, objects come also from other areas (mainly Europe).
White weapons and fire weapons document the technological and artistic evolution between the 15th and the 18th centuries.
Marzoli died in 1965 and left his collection to the municipality of Brescia. It is exhibited inside the Castle since 1988.
Infantry half-armour, magnificent pieces in Mannerist style, such as a shield dated 1563. Fire weapons’ collection, result of local craftsmanship.
A ticket has to be paid.